Job Title: Assistant Professor, Sport Coaching Education
Grant Funded? No
Position Type: Faculty
Department: Human Performance & Recreation
Pay Grade Level: N/A
Job Summary: The University of Southern Mississippi School of Human Performance and Recreation invites applications for a faculty position in the Sport Coaching Education program. This position is a full-time, nine-month, tenure-track faculty position at the assistant professor rank starting August 2012. Salary is commensurate with qualifications and experience.
Duties and Responsibilities:
1. Teach undergraduate and graduate sport coaching education courses
2. Conduct research and scholarly activities such as publications and presentations
3. Direct student research
4. Serve on graduate committees
5. Seek external funding
6. Hold active membership in professional associations and organizations
7. Serve on committees and participate in official activities at the program, departmental, college, and university levels
1. Earned doctorate (degree awarded by December, 2012) in sport pedagogy, sport studies, sport psychology, sport sociology, physical education, or closely related field
2. Commitment to teaching, scholarship, and service that is consistent with the mission of the university
3. Demonstrated, or potential to develop, line of scholarly inquiry evidenced by submission of peer-reviewed publications and professional presentations
4. Potential for grant writing
5. Demonstrated knowledge and awareness of professional developments related to area of specialization
6. Knowledge and familiarity with the NASPE National Standards for Sport Coaches
1. Experience in advising students, publishing scholarly articles, and pursuit of external funding
2. Expertise in one or more of the following: sport pedagogy, coach development, coaching ethics, coach-athlete relationships, psychological foundation of coaching, designing strength and conditioning programs, sport sociology
3. Technological literacy and a commitment to integrate technology in teaching
Posting Date: 11-22-2011
Closing Date: Open Until Filled
Special Instructions to Applicants:
Applicants must complete an employment application form located on The University of Southern Mississippi Human Resources Web site at https://www.usm/hr/emp_app/main.php. The following items will be included in this application: a current vita, contact information of three references, unofficial undergraduate and graduate transcripts, a statement of teaching experience and philosophy, and a formal letter of application outlining interests and qualifications. Applications will not be completed until all of those items have been received. Official transcripts will be required prior to acceptance of the position. Information concerning the School of Human Performance and Recreation's faculty, programs and facilities can be obtained at http://www.usm.edu/hpr/. For additional questions, please contact the chair of the committee, Dr. Laurie A. Neelis, at email@example.com.
Review of applications will begin December 1, 2011, and will continue until the position is filled. The University of Southern Mississippi is an affirmative action/equal opportunity employer and Americans with Disabilities Act Institution. Females and minorities are especially invited to apply.
Additional University/Departmental Information:
Founded in 1910, The University of Southern Mississippi is a comprehensive doctoral and research-extensive university fulfilling its mission of being a leading university in engaging and empowering individuals to transform lives and communities. The University of Southern Mississippi, which enrolls nearly 16,000 students each year, is the only dual-campus university in Mississippi with campuses in Hattiesburg and Long Beach. Six additional research sites are located on the Mississippi Gulf Coast and Meridian. Learn more at www.usm.edu.
Work Hours: Will vary depending upon teaching schedules and office hours.