Proposals of 200 words on subjects dating from the twentieth century onwards, are invited in but not confined to, the following areas:
- Commodity, mass culture and globalised cultures.
- ‘Bedroom cultures’: fanzines, magazines, gaming, social networking, blogs.
- Gender and ‘Urban Tribes’, ‘Neo-tribes’ and ‘scenes’.
- Youth culture, activism, ageing, politics and resistance.
- Fictions, films, archives, photography and art.
- The body: identity, fashion, aesthetics, tattooing, piercing and body modification
- Music: jazz, hip-hop, heavy metal, punk, goth, rockabilly, riot grrrl
- Sexual representation: queers, lesbians, gays, non-monogamy, straight, fetish.
- Underground/amateur sports: roller derby, baseball, football, softball, rounders.
- Race and racial identities.
We would particularly welcome contributions from literature, film and television, art, photography, cultural studies, theatre, gender studies, psychology and sociology, history and politics. Performance proposals and innovative presentation methods are encouraged. We intend to publish a selection of papers submitted to the symposium.
Proposals should be sent to email@example.com firstname.lastname@example.org.