San José State University
San José, California
ANNOUNCEMENT OF POSITION AVAILABILITY
Subject to Budgetary Approval
Specialist in Sport Management
Job Opening ID (JOID): 23107
Rank: Assistant professor (tenure-track)
1. Doctorate by time of appointment;
2. Demonstrated ability to teach courses in sport management at the undergraduate and graduate
3. Evidence of scholarly promise, professional engagement, and ability to seek external funding
4. Must have a theoretical background that includes sport management sub-specialties such as
sport finance, sport law, sport marketing, sport ethics, sport facilities, sport and public relations;
sustainability and sport, and sport and globalization;
5. Sport industry experience is desirable;
6. Ability and willingness to develop ongoing relationships and internship opportunities with
exercise facilities and sport teams at a variety of levels;
7. Ability to work collegially at both the undergraduate and graduate levels;
8. Ability and desire to serve on thesis committees, supervise theses/projects, and advise in the
9. Ability to teach core classes, general education, and/or physical activity classes as needed;
10. Awareness of and sensitivity to the educational goals of a multicultural population as might
have been gained in cross-cultural study, training, teaching or other comparable experience.
1. Teach sport management courses at the undergraduate and graduate levels, supervise
theses/projects, serve on thesis committees, and advise students at both the undergraduate and
graduate levels. May also be expected to teach core courses at the undergraduate and graduate
levels, teach in the general education program, and/or teach in the physical activity program;
2. Direct and grow the undergraduate program; propose courses/curricula as needed;
3. Direct and grow an innovative graduate sport management program, propose
courses/curricula as needed, and establish internship opportunities with Bay Area sport
4. Actively engage in community outreach to increase the visibility of the sport management
5. Membership and participation in appropriate professional associations;
6. Conduct research, seek external funding where appropriate, present professional papers, and
publish in professional journals;
7. Serve on department, college, and university committees as appropriate;
8. Candidate must address the needs of a student population of great diversity – in age, cultural
background, ethnicity, disability, primary language, and academic preparation – through course
materials, teaching strategies, and advisement.
Salary Range: Commensurate with qualifications and experience.
Starting Date: August 18, 2015
Eligibility: Employment is contingent upon proof of eligibility to work in the United States.
Application Procedures: Screening will start on January 15, 2015.
For full consideration upload
letter of application, curriculum vitae, statement of teaching interests/philosophy, and research plans and
at least three original letters of reference with contact information at apply.interfolio.com/27523
Please include Job Opening ID (JOID) on all correspondence.