Dates for Your Diaries:
23rd - 25th August 2012
(Just prior to the London Paralympic Games Opening Ceremony)
The Centre for Peace and Reconciliation Studies at Coventry University and the International
Wheelchair and Amputee Sports Federation proudly present an international inter-disciplinary
conference for academics and practitioners entitled:
Disability Sport: A vehicle for social change?
To be held in one of England’s most iconic buildings:
(Only 1 hour from London by train)
The Cathedral will be celebrating its 50th anniversary and the International Wheelchair and
Amputee Sports Federation will be celebrating their 60th anniversary in 2012.
Further details can be found in the coming months on the Centre for Peace and Reconciliation
Studies’ website: www.coventry.ac.uk/peacestudies or Email: firstname.lastname@example.org
The conference will be based around four main themes:
- Disability sport for peace and development
- Disability sport and social inclusion
- The recreational and psychological value of sport for people with disabilities
- Sport and health for people with disabilities
Possible areas for presentations include, but are not restricted to:
- Disability Sport as a tool for peace and development in post-conflict zones
- Sport as a tool for the rehabilitation of individuals disabled as a result of conflict
- Disability sport and its impact upon non-disabled perceptions of disability
- Disability sport and the Higher Education sports curriculum
- The potential economic and social impact of the London 2012 Paralympic Games
- Sport as a human right for people with disabilities
- Disability, sport and identity
- The impact of disability discrimination in the provision of sporting opportunities for people with disabilities
- Technology and disability sport: where does man become machine?
- Historical issues in disability sport and the Paralympic Games
- Media portrayals of disability and Paralympic sport
- The impact of sport on the health of people with disabilities
- The elite non-disabled sporting model and disability sport: impacts, problems and possibilities
- Marketing disability sport: problems and possibilities
- International perspectives on disability sport
There will also be opportunities for posters and suggestions for symposia.
It is intended that a publisher will be found for conference presentations in order to that a new and up to date body of social science knowledge be produced to assist the growing interest in disability sport amongst academics and students worldwide.