CALL FOR ABSTRACTS
The 2015 Southern Sport Management Conference invites scholars, practitioners, and students to submit abstracts for either (1) poster presentations or (2) 25-minute oral presentations. In addition, students are invited to participate in our student research competition. The deadline for submissions is December 1, 2014.
The conference will be held February 19-21, 2015 in Baton Rouge, LA. Further information about
the conference will be available later in the fall.
Abstract Submission Guidelines:
• Prospective presenters are limited to two presentations.
• Abstracts should be submitted using the following guide:
o 12-point, Times New Roman font
o Two pages will be submitted.
§ Page 1: Title Page
• Title should be centered.
• Below the title, list all author names and affiliations in order of contribution. Use one line per author and affiliation.
• Centered at the bottom of page one, provide the principal author’s contact information: mailing address, e-mail address, fax, and telephone numbers.
§ Page 2: Abstract Page
• Do not place any authors or affiliations on this page.
• Title should be centered.
• Listed below the title and aligned to the left of the page, describe the type of presentation you are submitting: 1) Poster Presentation or 2) 25-Minute Oral Presentation
• Listed below the type of presentation, provide three keywords that represent your abstract.
• Below the keywords, provide your presentation abstract. Abstracts are limited to 300 words.
• Include text only. Figures and tables are not acceptable.
o Submit all abstracts to Dr. Adam Love at email@example.com
§ The subject line should read: ‘Southern Sport Management Conference Abstract’
§ You will be notified via e-mail of acceptance by January 1, 2015.
Student Research Competition Guidelines:
Students wishing to participate in the research competition should submit the following:
• 150-word abstract summarizing full competitive abstract.
• 1500-word (maximum), extended abstract (excluding references)
o The extended abstract should simply be a condensed version of a full paper with all relevant sections clearly defined.
o Title page (maximum of 10 simple terms that clearly convey the focus of the paper)
o Main document (introduction, theoretical/conceptual framework, method, results, discussion, and conclusion)
o Practical implications
o Times New Roman 12-point font
o 8.5 x 11-inch page formatting
o 1-inch margins
o Formatting and reference style should conform to the American Psychological Association Guidelines (6th Edition).
• Please send all abstracts directly to Dr. Matthew Walker at firstname.lastname@example.org
o The subject line should read: ‘Southern Sport Management Student Paper’
o You will be notified via e-mail of a decision by January 1, 2015.
Please note, students who wish to present but not enter the research competition need only submit an abstract following the general abstract submission guidelines above. Only those entering the student research competition should submit the extended abstract.
Reviewers for the 2015 SSMA Student Research Award will judge the extended abstracts on the basis of their contribution to the advancement of applied sport management research. Accordingly, abstracts will be judged on their overall quality, contribution to the conference, and the advancement of practical scholarship. As such, the practical implications section should be included, which clearly highlights the key outcomes of the research.
Finalists for the Student Research Award will be asked to deliver a 25-minute oral presentation at the
conference, where reviewers will evaluate the presentations and select a winner. All finalists will be
recognized at the conference banquet, while the winner will also receive complimentary conference
registration. Additionally, the winning author will be asked to submit the full paper for consideration in a future issue of the Journal of Applied Sport Management (JASM).