The Knapsack Institute: Transforming Teaching and Learning, June 6-9, 2012
The Knapsack Institute supports educators across the nation as they create curriculum and pedagogy to integrate race/ethnicity, gender, sexuality, class and other forms of social inequality into their work and strive to create inclusive classrooms.
The Knapsack Institute provides educators with a framework for teaching about the matrix of privilege and oppression. Our interactive, collaborative Institute welcomes all educators ((broadly defined, including K-12, higher education, non-profit staff, private sector, diversity trainers, etc.). Alumni include faculty, teachers, and facilitators at many levels, from a wide range of disciplines, backgrounds, and organizations.
The Knapsack Institute:
- Is a forum for sharing ideas and strategies
- Emphasizes pedagogical approaches to teaching diversity, privilege, and intersectionality
- Provides professional growth and development, including CEUs & academic credit
- Provides mentoring and leadership development
- Supports curriculum building
- Provides hands-on activities, tools and practices that can be replicated
- Provides strategies for dealing with resistance
- Provides suggestions for creating institutional change in your organization
- Provides resources and networking to support on-going change
- Is facilitated by faculty and informed by the latest research
K-12 Track! We are partnering with a number of national organizations to offer a separate K-12 track. Breakout sessions will examine issues such as: bullying, ally building, issues of safety for students, gender identity, creating inclusive environments, and culturally responsive practices. Co-sponsored by theADL’s A WORLD OF DIFFERENCE Institute
Evaluation Highlights: for the fourth consecutive year, on a scale of 1-10, with 10 being fully agree, participants rated the KI a 10 in the following key areas:
- This Institute was very useful and valuable to me
- I would recommend this Institute to colleagues
- Speakers were knowledgeable and engaging
The Knapsack Institute is a program of The Matrix Center for the Advancement of Social Equity and Inclusion, the home of the national, award-winning White Privilege Conference.
Flier with further details attached. Early registration discounts available. Details and application at: http://www.uccs.edu/~knapsack/